Sunday, October 7, 2012

Half a World Away

When Mommy, Auntie Nins and Uncle Jo were young,
Grappa had to leave the country for a year or two.
Gramma used to write letters, record our voices on cassette tapes, and mail them to him.
He usually received them one to two months later.
I can't imagine how lonely it must have been for all of us back then.



Gramma says we're lucky we have the Internet and Skype.
But that fact doesn't make things easier, in my opinion
Even though Daddy always leaves the iPad and the Mac online
So that I can see you whichever time I choose.

 

I still try to sing to you your rhymes and teach you "The Eency Weency Spider"
But it's not the same because I can't teach you the hand gestures that you love.
Whenever you're bored or cranky, I can't tickle you or lift you in the air saying "Superquin!"
Because that never failed to make you squeal with laughter.
When I see you cry, I have no way of pulling you into a tight embrace so I can comfort you.
I have no way to hold you when you reach out for me on the screen,
And every time you do that, I burst into tears because I feel my heart breaking into pieces.

Because of the time difference I only get to see you two to four hours a day
Unless I watch you sleep and imagine I'm right there beside you, which is something I like doing a lot.


Daddy has been doing a great job, trying to fill in all the spaces I left behind
Although he says without me there, it will never be the same.

So each time we say goodbye, I fall asleep crying,
Because I can never get used to having you thousands of miles away.



I promise you that I will never ever leave you and Daddy for more than a day after this,
And I will be there each time you need the love and attention that you deserve.

Don't worry, my loves.  
Mommy's coming home soon.
And everything will be just as if I never even left.

No comments:

Post a Comment